Pike County, Alabama Genealogy Guide
|Other AL Resources|
| AL Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
AL Ancestor Records
AL Military Databases
AL Data Collections
AL Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Pike County, Alabama (Map It) was created on December 17, 1821 from Henry County and Montgomery County. The county boundaries changed several times before being set at their current locations in 1866. AAAAA county was named in honor of Zebulon Pike (1779–1813) of New Jersey, explorer and officer in War of 1812. Learn More About State of Alabama History
Pike County Cities and Towns include Banks, Brundidge, Goshen, Lewis, Troy.
A Map of Pike County, Alabama contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Pike County, Alabama Courthouse Records
Pike County, AL Courthouse
The Pike County Courthouse is located in Troy, Alabama. The county Seat was established at Louisville, later moved to Monticello and finally located in Troy in 1839. Troy became the county seat of Pike County in 1837, when citizens voted to move it from Monticello, in the eastern part of the county. The current courthouse was built in 1880.The Courthouse destroyed by fire in 1830, and all records were destroyed . Learn More About State of Alabama Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Pike county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Pike County Clerk of Circuit Court has Court Records from 1830 and has Divorce Records maintained among the equity records. Divorces issued prior to 1950 are located here. Divorces issued prior to 1950 are located here. Divorces issued after 1950 can be found at the Alabama Department of Public Health. The County Clerk of Circuit Court serves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Pike County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1830, Probate Records from 1830 and Land Records from 1830. The County Clerk of Probate Court maintains following records in the probate office: Plats, Maps, Judgments, Liens, Deeds, Mortgages, Corporations, Lis pendens, Marriage licenses, Military discharges. The Probate Judge presides over all probate court hearings for Probate of Wills, Administrations, Conservators, Guardianships, Adoptions, Legitimations, Name changes, Condemnations, Mental Commitment hearings, and performs marriage ceremonies. The office of the probate judge is the county office where the most significant genealogical records are created and maintained in Alabama. A variety of records are housed in this office.
- Pike County Revenue Commissioner's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Pike County Health Department has Birth Records from 1886 (with broken years), Death records from 1881.
AAAAA County, Alabama Census Records
- Learn More: State of Alabama Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: 1820-1866, 1867
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
AAAAA County, Alabama Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Alabama Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1908 to present.
- Marriage Records: from August 1936 to present.
- Divorce Records: from January 1950 to present.
- Locations: Alabama Office of Vital Statistics, The RSA Tower, 201 Monroe Street, Montgomery, Alabama 36104.
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Certificate Applications.
Pike County, Alabama Resources
- State of Alabama Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Alabama
- Pike County Historical & Genealogical Society, Route 2, Box 272, Goshen, AL 36035
- Troy Public Library, 334-566-1314
- Pike County, Alabama Message Boards
- Pike County, Alabama Genealogy Forum
- Pike County, Alabama Mailing lists