Jackson County, Alabama Genealogy Guide
|Other AL Resources|
| AL Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
AL Ancestor Records
AL Military Databases
AL Data Collections
AL Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Jackson County, Alabama (Map It) was created on December 13, 1819 from land acquired from the Cherokee Cession of 1819. Jackson county was named in honor of Andrew Jackson (1767–1845), 7th U.S. President. Learn More About State of Alabama History
Jackson County is bordered by Marion County, Tennessee (northeast), Dade County, Georgia (east), DeKalb County (southeast), Marshall County (southwest), Madison County (west), Franklin County, Tennessee (northwest).
Jackson County Cities and Towns include Bridgeport, Bryant, Dutton, Flat Rock, Higdon, Hollywood, Hytop, Langston, Paint Rock, Pisgah, Pleasant Groves, Scottsboro, Section, Skyline, Stevenson, Woodville.
A Map of Jackson County, Alabama contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Jackson County, Alabama Courthouse Records
Jackson County, AL Courthouse
The Jackson County Courthouse is located in Scottsboro, Alabama. The act establishing Jackson County designated Sauta Cave as a temporary seat of justice. Bellefonte was the county seat from 1821 until 1859, at which time it was transferred to Scottsboro, which was named for Robert T. Scott, an early settler from North Carolina. There was record loss due to a courthouse fire in 1860 and 1920. Learn More About State of Alabama Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Jackson county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Jackson County Clerk of Circuit Court has Court Records from ? and has Divorce Records maintained among the equity records. Divorces issued prior to 1950 are located here. Divorces issued prior to 1950 are located here. Divorces issued after 1950 can be found at the Alabama Department of Public Health. The County Clerk of Circuit Court serves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Jackson County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1851, Probate Records from 1866 and Land Records from 1819. The County Clerk of Probate Court maintains following records in the probate office: Plats, Maps, Judgments, Liens, Deeds, Mortgages, Corporations, Lis pendens, Marriage licenses, Military discharges. The Probate Judge presides over all probate court hearings for Probate of Wills, Administrations, Conservators, Guardianships, Adoptions, Legitimations, Name changes, Condemnations, Mental Commitment hearings, and performs marriage ceremonies. The office of the probate judge is the county office where the most significant genealogical records are created and maintained in Alabama. A variety of records are housed in this office.
- Jackson Revenue Commissioner's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Jackson County Health Department has Birth Records from N/A, Death records from N/A.
Jackson County, Alabama Census Records
- Learn More: State of Alabama Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: 1820-1866, 1867
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Jackson County, Alabama Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Alabama Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1908 to present.
- Marriage Records: from August 1936 to present.
- Divorce Records: from January 1950 to present.
- Locations: Alabama Office of Vital Statistics, The RSA Tower, 201 Monroe Street, Montgomery, Alabama 36104.
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Certificate Applications.
Jackson County, Alabama Resources
- State of Alabama Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Alabama
- Jackson County Historical Society
- Jackson County Historical Association, PO Box 1494, Scottsboro, AL 35768-1494
- Jackson County Heritage Center
- Tennessee Valley Genealogical Society
- Jackson County, Alabama Message Boards
- Jackson County, Alabama Genealogy Forum
- Jackson County, Alabama Mailing lists