Colbert County, Alabama Genealogy Guide
|Other AL Resources|
| AL Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
AL Ancestor Records
AL Military Databases
AL Data Collections
AL Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Colbert County, Alabama (Map It) was created on February 6, 1867 from part of Franklin County. It was abolished by the Constitutional Convention on November 29, 1867, and re-established by the legislature on December 9, 1869. Colbert county was named in honor of George and Levi Colbert, noted Chickasaw chiefs, who resided in the county. Learn More About State of Alabama History
Colbert County Cities and Towns include Muscle Shoals, Sheffield, Tuscumbia, Cherokee, Leighton, Littleville.
A Map of Colbert County, Alabama contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Colbert County, Alabama Courthouse Records
Colbert County, AL Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Colbert county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Colbert County Clerk of Circuit Court has Court Records from ? and has Divorce Records maintained among the equity records. Divorces issued prior to 1950 are located here. Divorces issued prior to 1950 are located here. Divorces issued after 1950 can be found at the Alabama Department of Public Health. The County Clerk of Circuit Court serves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Colbert County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1867, Probate Records from 1867 and Land Records from 1867. The County Clerk of Probate Court maintains following records in the probate office: Plats, Maps, Judgments, Liens, Deeds, Mortgages, Corporations, Lis pendens, Marriage licenses, Military discharges. The Probate Judge presides over all probate court hearings for Probate of Wills, Administrations, Conservators, Guardianships, Adoptions, Legitimations, Name changes, Condemnations, Mental Commitment hearings, and performs marriage ceremonies. The office of the probate judge is the county office where the most significant genealogical records are created and maintained in Alabama. A variety of records are housed in this office.
- Colbert County Assessor's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Colbert County Health Department has Birth Records from 1881, Death records from 1881 1000 S. Jackson Highway, Sheffield, AL 35660, Main phone number 256-383-1231.
- Colbert County Courthouse brief timeline:
- 1867 - Colbert County formed from part of Franklin County
- 1881 - Colbert County Courthouse construction begun
- 1882 - May: Colbert County Courthouse construction completed
- 1908 - Colbert County Courthouse razed except for brick walls
- 1909 - Colbert County Courthouse rebuilt and tower clock added
- 1948 - North wing county courthouse added
- 1974 - January: new Colbert County Courthouse wing construction begun
- 1975 - June: $2 million Colbert County Courthouse wing construction completed
Colbert County, Alabama Census Records
- Learn More: State of Alabama Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: None
- State Population Schedules: 1820-1866, 1867
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Colbert County, Alabama Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Alabama Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1908 to present.
- Marriage Records: from August 1936 to present.
- Divorce Records: from January 1950 to present.
- Locations: Alabama Office of Vital Statistics, The RSA Tower, 201 Monroe Street, Montgomery, Alabama 36104.
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Certificate Applications.
Colbert County, Alabama Resources
- State of Alabama Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Alabama
- Natchez Trace Genealogical Society, Box 420, Florence, AL 35360, Publication: Natchez Trace Traveler
- Florence/Lauderdale Public Library, Phone 256-764-6564
- Tennessee Valley Historical Society
- Tennessee Valley Genealogical Society
- Colbert County, Alabama Message Boards
- Colbert County, Alabama Genealogy Forum
- Colbert County, Alabama Mailing lists