Wyoming Birth, Marriage, Divorce along with Death records, generally known as vital records, supply information about crucial occasions in your ancestors life. Vital records, usually held by a civic office, can provide a person a far more complete picture of your ancestor, make it easier to differentiate between two people using the identical name, and assist you to locate links to a completely new generation. They might consist of information and facts like the occasion date and place, parents’ names, profession and residence. The cause of death is also listed in the majority of Wyoming death records.
Wyoming vital records certainly are a cornerstone of Wyoming ancestors and family history research because they were typically recorded at or near the time of the event, helping to make the record more likely to be correct. This page contains links, details that can help you request copies from Wyoming state and county vital records keepers. Vital records (births, deaths, marriages, and divorces) mark the milestones of our lives and are the foundation of family history research.
Wyoming Vital Records Services Office, issues, documents, and stores certified copies of vital records including birth, marriage, divorce death certificates for occurrences that took place in Wyoming. To verify current fees and information the telephone number is (307) 777-7591.
- Ordering Wyoming Birth Certificates: The State Vital Records Services Office has birth records from 1909 to present. The fee for birth certified copy are $13.
- Ordering Wyoming Marriage, Divorce and Death Certificates: The State Vital Records Services Office has Marriage, Divorce and Death records from previous 50 years to present records more than 50 years old should be obtained from the Wyoming State Archives(see below). The fee for marriage and divorce certified copy are $13, deaths are $10.
How to Order Wyoming Vital Records
- Physical Address: Vital Records Services, Hathaway Building, Cheyenne, WY 82002; (307) 777-7591; Fax: (307) 635-4103. All mail orders should include a Personal check or money order made payable to Vital Statistics Services. Do not send cash.
- Website Address: http://www.health.wyo.gov/
- Ordering Vital Records Online – get the certificates within 2-5 days with a credit or debit card from USAVital.com or VitalChek.com.
- Ordering Vital Records by Mail: You can download an application online for Wyoming Birth Certificate, Marriage or Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications. Please allow up to 4-6 weeks for processing of all type of certificates ordered through the mail.
Wyoming State Archives
- Physical Address: Barrett Building, 2301 Central Ave. , Cheyenne, WY 82002; (307) 777-7826
- Website Address: http://wyoarchives.state.wy.us/Archives/VitalRecords.aspx
Background of Wyoming Vital Records
In 1909, Wyoming started officially recording both deaths and births. Death and birth records were rarely kept by counties before that year. Not only that, but most of the births that were filed with the state were filed well after the births took place. In cases where specific information is unknown, State Department of Health officials are capable of looking up information in an alphabetical index. However, the researcher will be charged a per-hour fee for that service.
Vital Records Services can provide certified copies of certificates of death, birth, and marriage from the point when statewide recording was put into place onward.
Beginning in 1941, Wyoming began recording divorces and marriages on the state level. Prior to that, recording such information was the responsibility of each county’s clerk. The Wyoming State Archives and Historical Department has all available marriage records from the years of 1869 through 1970 on file. The marriage registers from various Wyoming counties have also been placed on microfilm and filed at the Family History Library (FHL). District court clerks were responsible for keeping early divorce records.