Wisconsin Genealogical publications (magazines, newsletters, periodicals, books, etc.) include all sorts of useful information pertaining to individual ancestors, whole lineages and families, places in time, and concerning all types of genealogical records and repositories. They allow you to uncover a abundance of details about your ancestors from many historical newspapers, magazines, and other periodicals. These different kinds of sources can frequently bolster public records and give information and facts that is not documented someplace else. Here, you can discover more concerning your ancestor’s potential daily activities by putting them in the context of their time.
Newspapers – On December 11, 1833, the first issue of the first Wisconsin newspaper, the Green Bay Intelligencer, was published. It was printed on a semi-monthly bases at a cost of $2 annually. It featured 4 pages that were each 12 x 18 inches.
The Wisconsin Historical society has the largest collection of Wisconsin newspapers in the state. It includes more than 1,600 titles, which is about 75% of all of the newspapers ever printed in Wisconsin.
The Wisconsin Historical Society’s newspaper collection has been placed on microfilm. Those microfilms can be accessed through inter-library loan programs. The society has also published special bibliographies of their newspaper holdings. Those records can be quite helpful when researchers are looking for information about African Americans, Native Americans, and ethnic groups in Wisconsin.
The Milwaukee Public Library holds original copies of the Milwaukee Sentinel. However, the Wisconsin Historical Society also has copies on microfilm. A two-part index for the years of 1837 to 1879 and 1880 to 1890 is also available.
- Wisconsin Historical Newspapers
- Wisconsin Newspapers Directory Listings
- Historical Newspapers from Wisconsin (1837 – 1992) – Immediately locate names and phrases in over 450 million articles, obituaries, marriage notices, birth notices as well as other items written and published in over 2,800 historical U.S. newspapers. New content and articles added every month!
- Wisconsin Newspaper List
- Wisconsin Newspapers, 1833–1850: An Analytical Bibliography (Madison, Wis.: State Historical Society of Wisconsin, 1979) – contains information on the very earliest Wisconsin newspapers.
- Guide to Wisconsin Newspapers, 1833– 1957 (Madison, Wis.: State Historical Society of Wisconsin, 1958)
- Newspapers in the State Historical Society of Wisconsin: A Bibliography with Holdings (New York: Norman Ross Pub., 1993)
- Index to Green Bay Newspapers, 1833–1840 (Monroe: Wisconsin State Genealogical Society, n.d.)