Bedford County, Virginia Genealogy Guide
|Other VA Resources|
|VA Birth Records
VA Marriage Records
VA Divorce Records
VA Death Records
VA Ancestor Records
VA Military Databases
VA Data Collections
VA Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Bedford County, Virginia (Map It) was created in December 13, 1753 and was formed from Lunenburg County. Part of Albemarle County was added in 1754 and part of Lunenberg County was added later. Parts of Bedford Co was used to form Campbell County (1782) and Franklin County (1786). Bedford county was named for John Russell, 4th Duke of Bedford, British politician and one of the head negotiators of the Peace of Paris.. Learn More About State of Virginia History
Bedford County is bordered by Rockbridge County (north), Amherst County (northeast), Lynchburg (east), Campbell County (southeast), Pittsylvania County (south), Franklin County (southwest), Roanoke County (west), Botetourt County (northwest).
Bedford County Cities and Towns include Forest, New London, Huddleston, Moneta, Montvale, Thaxton, Goode and Big Island .
Bedford County, Virginia Courthouse Records
Bedford County, VA Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH . The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The Bedford County record dates below are from the earliest date to present time. They may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, voter registration, military discharges and court records.
- Bedford County Clerk of Circuit Court has Marriage Records from 1755, Land Records from 1754, Court Records from 1754 and Probate Records from 1754. The County Clerk of Circuit Court serves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Bedford County (VA) Treasurer
- Bedford County Commissioner of the Revenue
- Bedford County Real Estate Parcel Search
- Bedford County Health Department
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
Bedford County, Virginia Census Records
- Learn More: State of Virginia Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790 (destroyed), 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: Virginia Heads of families 1790: records of the state enumerations, 1782 to 1785
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Bedford County, Virginia Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Virginia Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: from January 1853 to December 1896 and since June 14, 1912 to present. The Virginia Archives has copies of surviving birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896
- Marriage Records: from January 1853 to present. The Virginia Archives has copies of marriage records prior to 1936.
- Divorce Records: from January 1918 to present.
- Locations: Virginia Office of Vital Statistics, Virginia State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: 2001 Maywill Street, Richmond, Virginia 23230
Bedford County, Virginia Resources
Bedford County, Virginia External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Virginia (1784 - 1922 )
- Bedford County, Virginia Books - Amazon
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia
- Virginia County Records, Volume , VI, VII , IX, X The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- Bedford Co., Virginia - FindaGrave
- Tommy Markham's Genealogy & History Home Page
- Bedford County, Virginia Links - Cyndi's List
- Bedford Co. VAGenweb
- Bedford County, Virginia Ancestry Database Collections
- Virginia Revolutionary War Units
- Bedford County, Virginia Military Records