Vermont Government records cover a broad range of genealogy subject areas that can help you as part of your research, such as land ownership, courts, taxes, and naturalization’s. Given that Vermont court records cover such a wide selection of topics, they could aid you in many different ways. As an example, they could aid you in finding ancestors’ residences, identify occupations, locate financial information, determine citizenship status, or shed light on relationships between individuals. The whole thing relies upon on the type of court records that the ancestors” names show up in. For Definitions of all court terms see the Genealogy Encyclopedia.
Vermont Courthouse records change extensively from county to county in both level of quality and volume. You will find different kinds of court records that are most likely to possess information related for your genealogical research below.
Vermont Court Records
- Vermont Court Record Books (amazon.com)
Vermont Land Records
See Also Guide to U.S. Land Records Research
Vermont Probate Records
- Vermont Probate Record Books (amazon.com)
Vermont Tax Records
See Also Guide to U.S. Tax Records Research
- Vermont Tax Record Books (amazon.com)
Vermont Immigration & Naturalization Records
- Vermont Immigration Record Books (amazon.com)
Vermont County & City Government Links
Vermont contains 14 counties. Each county is the local level of government within its borders. These counties together contain 255 political units, or places, including 237 towns, 9 cities, 5 unincorporated areas, and 4 gores. Each county has a county seat, known in Vermont as shire town. See Also Vermont City and Town Incorporation and Settlement Dates
The links in the table below link to county and city government offices and is limited to government-maintained websites. If you know of a Vermont county that has an official government web site but is not linked, or if the link is in error, please contact us so we may edit our database. Vermont State Government is located in Montpelier.
Vermont Directory Downloads
- The journal of the Senate of the state of Vermont, October session, 1848 (search.ancestry.com)
- Journal of the House of Representatives of the state of Vermont : October session, 1849. (search.ancestry.com)
- Journal of the House of Representatives of the state of Vermont : October session, 1848. (search.ancestry.com)
- Journal of the House of Representatives of the state of Vermont : October session, 1847. (search.ancestry.com)
- The journal of the Senate of the state of Vermont, October session, 1849 (search.ancestry.com)