Tom Green County, Texas Genealogy Guide
|Other TX Resources|
|TX Birth Records
TX Marriage Records
TX Divorce Records
TX Death Records
TX Ancestor Records
TX Military Databases
TX Data Collections
TX Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Tom Green County, Texas (Map It) was created on March 13, 1874 from Bexar Land District . This county was named for Thomas Green (1814–1864), a Confederate brigadier general.. Learn More About State of Texas History
Tom Green County is bordered by Coke County (north), Runnels County (northeast), Concho County (east), Schleicher County (south), Irion County (west), Reagan County (far west), Sterling County (northwest).
Tom Green County Cities and Towns include San Angelo.. A Map of Tom Green County, Texas contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Tom Green County, Texas Courthouse Records
Tom Green County, TX Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicate what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Tom Green county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. Some early records prior to organization on January 5, 1875 may be located in El Paso County. Courthouse in Ben Flicken, then the county seat, was destroyed by flood in 1882. The second floor of the Tom Green County Courthouse caught fire on June 28, 1886, possibly from mice eating matches. The fire started in the office of the Clerk of District Courts. Many of the records in the clerk's office were destroyed.
- Tom Green County Clerk has Birth & Death Records from 1903, Marriage Records from 1875, Land Records from 1875, Probate Records from 1875 and Court Records from 1875. The County Clerk's office is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Tom Green County Tax Assessor-Collector Office is responsible for the the assessment of taxes on each property in the county and collection of that tax
Tom Green County, Texas Census Records
- Learn More: State of Texas Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- Texas Census Substitute Records: 1820-1890
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Tom Green County, Texas Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Texas Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from 1903 to present.
- Marriage Records: available from the County Clerk
- Divorce Records: available from the Clerk of District Court
- Locations: Texas Department of State Health Services
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth and Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Texas Department of State Health Services, 1100 W. 49th Street, Austin, TX 78756; (888) 963-7111 or (512) 458-7111
Tom Green County, Texas Resources
- State of Texas Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Texas
- San Angelo Genealogical & Historical Society
- Texas State Archives, Regional Historical Resource Depository, University Library, State University, San Angelo, TX 76909-5072
- Tom Green County Historical Preservation League, P.O. Box 1625, San Angelo, TX 76902