Sevier County, Tennessee Genealogy Guide
|Other TN Resources|
|TN Birth Records
TN Marriage Records
TN Divorce Records
TN Death Records
TN Ancestor Records
TN Military Databases
TN Data Collections
TN Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Sevier County, Tennessee (Map It) was created on September 28, 1794 from Jefferson County. This Sevier County was named in honor of John Sevier (1745–1815), governor of the State of Franklin and first Governor of Tennessee. Learn More About State of Tennessee History
Sevier County is bordered by Jefferson County (north), Cocke County (east), Haywood County, North Carolina (southeast), Swain County, North Carolina (south), Blount County (west) and Knox County (northwest) .
Sevier County Cities and Towns include Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Pittman Center, Sevierville . A Map of Sevier County, Tennessee contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Sevier County, Tennessee Courthouse Records
Sevier County, TN Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Sevier county or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. There was a fire at the Sevier County courthouse in 1856, nearly all records were destroyed.
- Sevier County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1856 and Probate Records from 1849. The County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Sevier County Register of Deeds has Land & Deed Records from 1845. The County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Sevier County Clerk of Circuit Court has Chancery Court Minutes from 1854, Circuit Court Minutes from 1850 and County Court Minutes 1856. The County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Sevier County Property Assessor has Tax Records from 1837, 1838, 1864-1867, 1869-1872 and are located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives. The County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Sevier County Health Department issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Sevier County, Tennessee Census Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1800 (part), 1810 (part), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Territory Census: 1770-1790 Census of the Cumberland Settlements
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Sevier County, Tennessee Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1914 to present, also for Nashville since June 1881, for Knoxville since July 1881, and for Chattanooga since January 1882
- Marriage, Divorce and Death Records: from the past 50 years to present.
- Locations: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, Tennessee State Library and Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, 1st Floor, Central Services Building, 421 Fifth Avenue, North, Nashville, TN 37243; PH: 615-741-1763
Sevier County, Tennessee Resources
- State of Tennessee Archives and Societies
- Sevier County Preservation of Records Department, 125 Court Avenue, Suite 201E, Sevierville , TN 37862; Phone: (865) 774 3627
- Anna Porter Public Library, (Smoky Mountain Collection) , 207 Cherokee Orchard Road, Gatlinburg, TN 37738 865-436-5588
- Pigeon Forge Public Library, 2449 Library Drive, Pigeon Forge, TN 37863 865-429-7490
- Sevier County Public Library, 321 Court Avenue, Sevierville, TN 37862 865-453-3532
Sevier County, Tennessee External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Tennessee (1795 - 1929 )
- Tennessee Newspaper List by County and City
- Sevier County, Tennessee Books - Amazon
- Tennessee Real Estate Assessment Data Property Search
- Sevier County Records on Microfilm - Order County Microfilm Inventories and Reels
- Early Sevier County Records Available on Interlibrary Loan
- Sevier Co., Tennessee - FindaGrave