Williamsburg County, South Carolina Genealogy Guide
|Other SC Resources|
|SC Birth Records
SC Marriage Records
SC Divorce Records
SC Death Records
SC Ancestor Records
SC Military Databases
SC Data Collections
SC Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Williamsburg County, South Carolina (Map It) was created on 1802 from territory of Williamsburg County (non-functioning) in Georgetown Circuit Court District. The county was named in honor of King William III of England. Learn More About State of South Carolina History.
Williamsburg County Cities and Towns include Andrews, Greeleyville, Hemingway, Kingstree, Lane, Stuckey. A Map of Williamsburg County, South Carolina contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Williamsburg County, South Carolina Courthouse Records
Williamsburg County, SC Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Williamsburg county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Williamsburg County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1911 and Probate Records from 1802. The County Clerk of Probate Court has original jurisdiction over actions concerning the issuance of marriage licenses, the estate of a deceased person, the will of an individual, the estate of a minor or incapacitated person, trusts, and involuntary commitments.
- Williamsburg County County Clerk of Court / Register of Deeds has Court Records from 1806, Divorce Records from since April 1949 and Land Records from 1806. The County Clerk of Court / Register of Deeds is divided into General Sessions and Common Pleas Court. The Circuit Court is a formal court of record. It records and maintain deeds, mortgages, plats, state and federal tax liens, mechanics liens, uniform commercial code filings, and other miscellaneous documents pertaining to real estate transactions.
- Williamsburg County Tax Assessor / Collector is responsible for the collection of taxes. Our office does not calculate a property’s taxable value (Assessor’s Office).
- Williamsburg County Health Department has birth and death records from 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk's office.
Williamsburg County, South Carolina Census Records
- Learn More: State of South Carolina Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Williamsburg County, South Carolina Vital Records
- Learn More: State of South Carolina Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1915 to present
- Marriage Records: from July 1950 to present. Contact the Office of Probate for earlier records.
- Divorce Records: from July 1962 to present. Contact the Clerk of Court for earlier records.
- Locations: South Carolina Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth and Death Certificate or Marriage and Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: List of Vital Records Services Office locations
Williamsburg County, South Carolina Resources
- State of South Carolina Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for South Carolina
- Williamsburg County Historical Society, 135 Hampton Ave, Kingstree, SC 29556; phone: (843) 355-3306
- Williamsburgh Historical Museum, 135 Hampton Ave, Kingstree, SC 29556; phone: (843) 355-3306
- Three Rivers Historical Society
- Williamsburg County, South Carolina Message Boards
- Williamsburg County, South Carolina Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Williamsburg County
Williamsburg County, South Carolina External Links
- Historical Newspapers from South Carolina (1783 - 1975 )
- Williamsburg County, South Carolina Books - Amazon
- South Carolina Archives Summary Guide to Williamsburg County Records
- Williamsburg County, SC Census QuickFacts
- Williamsburg Co., South Carolina - FindaGrave
- History of Williamsburg : something about the people of Williamsburg County, South Carolina, from the first settlement by Europ
- Williamsburg County, South Carolina History, 1705-1923
- History of Williamsburg Church
- A History of Williamsburg County
- Williamsburg County History