Washington County, Ohio Genealogy Guide
|Other OH Resources|
|OH Birth Records
OH Marriage Records
OH Divorce Records
OH Death Records
OH Ancestor Records
OH Military Databases
OH Data Collections
OH Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Washington County, Ohio (Map It) was created on July 27, 1788 from Unorganized Land. This county was named forGeorge Washington (1732–1799), commander of the Continental Army, president of the Constitutional Convention, and future U.S. President . Learn More About State of Ohio History
Washington County is bordered by Noble County (north), Monroe County (northeast), Tyler County, West Virginia (east), Pleasants County, West Virginia (southeast), Wood County, West Virginia (south), Athens County (southwest), Morgan County (northwest) .. A Map of Washington County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Washington County Cities and Towns include Belpre, Marietta, Beverly, Lowell, Lower Salem, Macksburg, Matamoras. Other communities include Barlow, Bartlett, Coal Run, Cutler, Fleming, Germantown, Little Hocking, Newport, Reno, Vincent, Waterford, Watertown, Whipple, Wingett Run, Devola. A Map of Washington County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Washington County Townships include Adams, Aurelius, Barlow, Belpre, Decatur, Dunham, Fairfield, Fearing, Grandview, Independence, Lawrence, Liberty, Ludlow, Marietta, Muskingum, Newport, Palmer, Salem, Warren, Waterford, Watertown, Wesley.
Washington County, Ohio Courthouse Records
Washington County, OH Courthouse
Washington County, OH Township Map
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Washington county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Washington County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1789 and Probate Records from 1789. The County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts.
- Washington County Recorder has Land Records from 1788. The County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Washington County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas has Court Records from 1790. The County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- The Washington County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
Washington County, Ohio Census Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1800 (destroyed), 1810 (destroyed), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Washington County, Ohio Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Vital Records
- Birth Records: from 1908 to present
- Marriage Records: None. See County Probate Court.
- Death Records: from 1954 to present
- Divorce Records: None. See County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas.
- Locations: Ohio Office of Vital Statistics, Ohio Local Health Departments
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Washington County, Ohio Resources
Washington County, Ohio External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Ohio (1802 - 1970)
- Guernsey Jeffersonian (Washington, Ohio)
- Washington County, Ohio Books - Amazon
- Abstract of Probate Records, Washington County, Ohio
- Abstracts of wills and administrations of estates of Washington County, Ohio
- Washington County, Ohio, US Territorial Census Population Schedules, 1803
- Washington County Cemetery Index 60,000 entries
- Washington Co., Ohio - FindaGrave
- Mount Ephraim Church History website
- Paragraphs, portraits and pictures supplementary to The history of St. Luke's Church, Marietta, Ohio
- The history of Saint Luke's Church, Marietta, Ohio
- History of Marietta
- A history of Belpre, Washington County, Ohio
- Washington County and the early settlement of Ohio
- Report of proceedings of the committees having charge of relics at the Centennial Celebration, April 7, 1888
- Washington County, Ohio Links - Cyndi's List
- Washington Co. OHGenweb
- Washington County Genealogy Queries
- Washington County, Ohio Ancestry Database Collections
- Ohio Military Records