Darke County, Ohio Genealogy Guide
|Other OH Resources|
|OH Birth Records
OH Marriage Records
OH Divorce Records
OH Death Records
OH Ancestor Records
OH Military Databases
OH Data Collections
OH Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Darke County, Ohio (Map It) was created on January 3, 1809 from Miami County . This county was named for General William Darke (1736-1801), Revolutionary War officer . Learn More About State of Ohio History
Darke County is bordered by Mercer County (north), Shelby County ( northeast), Miami County (east), Montgomery County (southeast), Preble County (south), Wayne County, Indiana (southwest), Randolph County, Indiana (west), Jay County, Indiana (northwest) .. A Map of Darke County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Darke County Cities and Towns include Greenville, Ansonia, Arcanum, Bradford, Burkettsville, Castine, Gettysburg, Gordon, Hollansburg, Ithaca, New Madison, New Weston, North Star, Osgood, Palestine, Pitsburg, Rossburg, Union City, Versailles, Wayne Lakes, Yorkshire. Other communities include Beamsville, Dawn, Stelvideo. A Map of Darke County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Darke County Townships include Adams, Allen, Brown, Butler, Franklin, Greenville, Harrison, Jackson, Liberty, Mississinawa, Monroe, Neave, Patterson, Richland, Twin, Van Buren, Wabash, Washington, Wayne, York.
Darke County, Ohio Courthouse Records
Darke County, OH Courthouse
Darke County, OH Township Map
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Darke county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Darke County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1817 and Probate Records from 1818. The County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts.
- Darke County Recorder has Land Records from 1822. The County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Darke County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas has Court Records from 1817. The County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- The Darke County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
Darke County, Ohio Census Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1810 (destroyed), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Darke County, Ohio Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Vital Records
- Birth Records: from 1908 to present
- Marriage Records: None. See County Probate Court.
- Death Records: from 1954 to present
- Divorce Records: None. See County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas.
- Locations: Ohio Office of Vital Statistics, Ohio Local Health Departments
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Darke County, Ohio Resources
Darke County, Ohio External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Ohio (1802 - 1970)
- Darke County, Ohio Books - Amazon
- Darke County, Ohio Marriages, 1817-1840 & Darke County, Ohio Will Abstracts, 1818-1857
- Darke County, Ohio Common Pleas Court Records, 1817-1860
- Index to Darke County, Ohio, wills
- Darke County Burials 1928-1996 not complete, but has many entries