Statewide Census Records that exist for Maryland are 1790, 1800 – 1810 – 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1890(fragment, see below), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930 and 1940. There are Industry and Agriculture Schedules for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. The Mortality Schedules for the years 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880.
The Maryland State Law Library, the Maryland State Archives, and other repositories have microfilmed copies of federal census records and their indexes on file, along with mortality schedule indexes. However, many census schedules are missing. They include the following records:
- 1790 for Allegany, Calvert, Somerset, and Part of Dorchester Counties (Destroyed)
- 1800 for Baltimore County (Never Taken)
- 1830 for Montgomery, Prince George’s, Queen Anne’s, Saint Mary’s, and Somerset Counties
The Maryland State Archives has non-population census records on file, along with the population schedules for 1880.
Colonial Census: In 1776, a population census was taken in Maryland. The Maryland State Archives has an index of that census. However, some records from certain counties are missing. Another census was taken two years later to see which males over the age of 18 had signed the Oath of Fidelity. However, certain counties listed those who did not sign it, while other counties listed those who did. The Baltimore City Archives holds a city police census, which was taken in 1868. Tax records, which can be found in multiple repositories across the state, may also serve as substitutes for census records.
Searchable Maryland Census Databases and other Helpful Links
- Rootsweb Maryland Census Look Ups (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Maryland Census Project (usgenweb.org)
- Maryland Census QuickFacts (census.gov)
- Links to Online Maryland Census Records (census-online.com)
- Maryland Census Extraction Forms (ancestry.com)
- U.S. Federal Census Guides
- United States Federal Census for Maryland (search.ancestry.com)
- Maryland Census, 1772-1890 (search.ancestry.com)
- Maryland Colonial Census, 1776 (search.ancestry.com)
- 1860 Maryland Federal Census (fold3.com)
- 1930 Maryland Federal Census (fold3.com)
- Census 2000 Data for the State of Maryland (census.gov)
- Overview of the U.S. Census (ancestry.co.uk)
- Maryland Census Books (amazon.com)
- Maryland Records: Colonial, Revolutionary, County and Church From Original Sources, 2 vols. (1915–28; reprint, Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1985).
- 1776 Census of Maryland, and 1778 Census of Maryland (Lutherville, Md.: n.p., 1972).
- 1778 Oaths of Fidelity (
indexed at the Maryland State Archives);
- Maryland Rent Rolls: Baltimore and Anne Arundel Counties, 1700–1707, 1705–1724, from the Maryland Historical Magazine (Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1976)