The 1790 and 1800 census records for the state of Kentucky no longer exist. However, there are still published tax records from that time available. They can fill in a lot of the missing census information for researchers.
The federal census for Kentucky from 1890 included a Union veterans and widows schedule. Records from that schedule for 65 of the counties in the state still exist. Several of the censuses for Kentucky have been indexed and published. There are also published extracts available. The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives also has microfilmed federal census records on file. AISI has published several census records, but many of the census indexes for Kentucky that are readily available actually predate the AISI records.
Starting in 1888 Kentucky occasionally took public school censuses. Each county’s Board of Education or Board of Health may have some of those records available. Some records may be restricted by school boards, but records held by county clerks are generally not restricted. The Kentucky Historical Society and the Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives also have some school census records of file.
Searchable Kentucky Census Databases and other Helpful Links
- Rootsweb Kentucky Census Look Ups (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Kentucky Census Project (usgenweb.org)
- Kentucky Census QuickFacts (census.gov)
- “Second Census” of Kentucky, 1800: A Privately Compiled and Published Enumeration of Tax Payers Appearing in the 79 Manuscript Volumes Extant of Tax Lists of the 42 Counties of Kentucky in Existence in 1800 (amazon.com)
- Early Kentucky Tax Records (amazon.com)
- Links to Online Kentucky Census Records (census-online.com)
- “First Census” of Kentucky, 1790 (amazon.com)
- Kentucky Census Extraction Forms (ancestry.com)
- U.S. Federal Census Guides
- United States Federal Census for Kentucky (search.ancestry.com)
- Kentucky Census, Reconstructed, 1790 (search.ancestry.com)
- Second Census of Kentucky 1800 (search.ancestry.com)
- Kentucky Census, 1810-90 (search.ancestry.com)
- 1860 Kentucky Federal Census (fold3.com)
- 1930 Kentucky Federal Census (fold3.com)
- 1860 Federal Slave Schedule (search.ancestry.com)
- Census 2000 Data for the State of Kentucky (census.gov)
- Overview of the U.S. Census (ancestry.co.uk)
- Kentucky Census Books (amazon.com)