Iowa Genealogical publications (magazines, newsletters, periodicals, books, etc.) feature all sorts of invaluable information and facts related to specific ancestors, whole lineages and families, places in time, and regarding all sorts of genealogical records and repositories. They allow you to uncover a wealth of facts about your ancestors from many historical newspapers, magazines, and other periodicals. These types of resources can often bolster public records and supply information and facts that is not recorded elsewhere. Here, one can learn even more about your ancestor’s potential daily activities by putting them in the context of their time.
Newspapers – Iowa newspapers can furnish all sorts of ideas about historical incidents, local history, court and legal notices, obituaries, and a lot more. The Du Buque Visitor, Iowa’s first newspaper, was published in 1836 at Dubuque, followed a year later by The Western Adventurer at Montrose.
- Iowa Historical Newspapers
- Iowa Newspapers Directory Listings
- Historical Newspapers from Iowa (1837 – 1900) – Immediately identify names and keywords and phrases in over 450 million articles, obituaries, marriage announcements, birth announcements along with other items written and published in over 2,800 historic U.S. newspapers. Unique articles and other content added monthly!
- Newspaper Collection of the State Historical Society of Iowa . Iowa City, Iowa: State Historical Society of Iowa, 1969. An update file to this listing is available at the State Historical Library, Iowa City.
- Iowa Pilot Project of the Organization of American Historians, The Library of Congress, United States Newspaper Project. A Bibliography of Iowa Newspapers, 1836–1976. Iowa City, Iowa: Iowa State Historical Department, 1979.
- The Pageant of the Press: A Survey of 125 Years of Iowa Journalism, 1836-1961 . Iowa City, Iowa: Iowa State Historical Society, 1962.
- Index to bound newspapers in Iowa State Department of History and Archives . Des Moines, Iowa: State of Iowa, 1947.
- Iowa Newspaper List (usnpl.com)